US provides $206 million for Gaza force despite deadlocked peace plan
President Donald Trump's administration has told Congress it is sending more than $206 million for a proposed Gaza peacekeeping force, the first significant funding for the stalled U.S. plan to rebuild the devastated enclave.
In two July 30-dated notifications seen by Reuters, the State Department informed Congress it will provide $200 million for the International Stabilization Force's (ISF) equipment, infrastructure, vehicles and operational costs. An additional $6 million would repurpose U.S. armored vehicles to support the force.
The notifications, which were addressed to key appropriations and foreign affairs committees in Congress, have not been previously reported.
The funding is the first concrete U.S. spending on the peacekeeping force and signals the administration's determination to press ahead with Trump's Gaza roadmap even as both Israel and Hamas have balked at conditions needed to advance the plan.
"The ISF will lead security operations, support comprehensive demilitarization, and enable the safe delivery of humanitarian aid and reconstruction material to Gaza," one of the notifications said, while noting the final composition of the force was still being negotiated.
|